It’s that time of year again. When developers and the media meet in L.A. and the world is shown why it’s still great to be a gamer. The excitement and the anticipation is palpable. I’m so excited that this year I’m going to try my hand at predicting what will be announced and shown at the conferences. It’s somewhat of an exercise in futility since so much of what’s shown will be new and never before seen material but I want to try anyway!
Xbox is in a different place now than they were two years into the last console cycle. Where before they were an unstoppable force of gaming goodness this time around poor messaging and a focus on general entertainment over games leaves Xbox playing catch up to Sony and the runaway success of the Playstation 4. But the Xbox One is still a great console with a spectacular controller and some amazing games. And amazing games are exactly what they need to show at E3 this year and with Phil Spencer at the helm I believe that is exactly what we’ll see.
1. Tomb Raider gameplay trailer shown and November 13th release date confirmed.
2. ID@XBOX indie game reel shows a slew of indie games coming to the Xbox One.
3. Call of Duty: BLOPs III gameplay shown and exclusive Xbox content announced.
4. Halo 5 Guardians open beta announced and is available immediately.
5. Gears 4 first trailer shown and given 2016 release window.
Playstation has had the best two years of its existence since pretty much the PS2 days. The PS4 is the fastest selling console on the market despite the somewhat lackluster show of games from first party studios. But the Playstation audience is hungry for new games to play and specifically new games that they can only play on Playstation. I believe that’s exactly what Playstation will deliver at E3 this year.
1. Uncharted 4 second gameplay trailer opens the conference.
2. 20 minute Morpheus talk with supported first party games announced from Media Molecule and Sony Bend.
3. Reel of Indie games coming to Playstation systems shown.
4. Ratchet and Clank remake given release date and gameplay trailer.
5. God of War 4 trailer shwon and given a 2016 release window.
Nintendo isn’t doing a proper conference again this year. Instead they’ve opted out to do their own Nintendo Direct event like they did last year. With the Wii U struggling to sell and Zelda a ways away the situation for the Wii U isn’t in a great place. But they will still talk about games we’re all excited for like Star Fox and Mario Maker and hopefully announce some new games!
1. Star Fox gameplay trailer shown and given december 2015 release date.
2. Retro announces new Metroid game for Wii U.
3. New Splatoon DLC announced and dated for August 2015.
4. New Pokemon game coming to the 3DS in fall 2015.
5. New Mario title announced for the 3DS.
This E3 there are more conferences than any E3 ever before. With Bethesda, Square Enix and a PC focused conference all joining the battle for our attention it’s going to be hard to keep track of everything! But this also means a lot of stuff will be announced which makes it all okay with me.
1. Dishonored 2 announced and trailer shown.
2. Fallout 4 given November 2015 release date.
3. New UbiArt game announced and given Fall 2015 release date.
4. New Rayman game announced for Fall 2015.
5. Mass Effect Trilogy remaster announced for current gen consoles and given Holiday 2015 release date.
6. Mass Effect 4 trailer shown and given 2016 release date.
And that’s what I think (and hope) we’ll see from the publishers at E3 next week. Hope you enjoyed it!